Oh the knitting books! I think I have about as many knitting books and booklets as I have yarn, and even though the number of patterns I already own would take twice my life expectancy to knit, I keep collecting books. Of course, it doesn’t help that I work in an awesome yarn shop where I get to see all the latest and greatest publications first hand. Just in the last two weeks we’ve received quite a few books including Custom Knits: Accessories by Wendy Bernard, Knitting Everyday Finery by Mel Clark, and the one I couldn’t keep my hands off of, Mom & Me Knits by Stephanie Japel.
This book is so adorable; I may have actually squeed when I flipped through it. It contains 10 paired projects to knit (20 patterns in all), and I think I want to knit every single one! A few details:
– It is organized with 1 pattern for mom and 1 pattern for baby or child, with the exception of a girls halter top paired with doll halter top pattern
– The smaller patterns are obviously designed with girls in mind but there is a couple in the book that could easily be made for little boys too (the Surfer Tee would be perfect)
– 4 patterns sized up to 24 months for babies
– 6 patterns sized up to 10 years
– Women’s patterns sized up to 50” bust
– There is a variety of gauges to choose from 4st/4in in a bulky yarn all the way down to 32st/4in in a fingering weight yarn
The paired patterns themselves do not all match exactly, and that was the clincher for me. Never a fan of matching mother/daughter outfits, I can actually see my daughter and I wearing our sweaters, together.
And who knows, maybe in a few years we’ll be knitting them together too!
Surfer Tee Copyright by Aimee Herring
If you’re interested in seeing more, head down to the shop and pick up a copy. And if the previously mentioned Surfer Tee strikes your fancy, Stephanie Japel is hosting a Surfer Tee KAL on her blog right now. Check it out.